Hardy Tower photo (30k GIF)

Hardy Memorial Tower

Hardy Memorial Tower, named after Edward Hardy, who became president of the campus in1910, was once used as an actual water tower. Today, it is recognized as SDSU's most significant physical landmark and an important University symbol to the greater San Diego community.

Hardy Memorial Tower houses the Fletcher Symphonic Carillon, a digital chronobell 50-bell symphonic carillon with a computer memory system.

icon Hear the bells (544k file, au format)
You are listening to "Tower Arabesque" (1994), composed by Dr. Terry O'Donnell, SDSU Professor of Music and Dramatic Arts, on the SDSU Fight Song and Alma Mater themes. O'Donnell has served as SDSU Carillonneur from 1962 to the present.

The Fletcher Symphonic Carillon was presented as a gift to SDSU by Senator and Mrs. Ed Fletcher in 1946 to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the University and to serve as a memorial to SDSU students lost in war. The Fletcher Symphonic Carillon has been housed in the tower since 1946, and was renovated and modernized in 1966, 1985, and 1992.

The Tower stands in the northwest corner of Hepner Hall Quad. In addition to classrooms and lecture halls, the Hepner Hall Quad houses the offices of the College of Health and Human Services.

Related Web Sites:






SDSU Campus Tour