Many scholarships are available to you as a member of Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society. The SDSU chapter of Phi Kappa Phi awards local scholarships to SDSU students, and additional scholarship opportunities are available from National Phi Kappa Phi. Below is a summary of eligibility requirements and deadlines for each of the scholarships. Additional information and application packets for each scholarship are available on the Phi Kappa Phi Web site
Undergraduate Study Abroad Grants
Love of Learning Awards
Fellowship Awards - various amounts
Fellowship Awards are available for first year graduate study. The National Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society awards 51 Fellowships of $5,000 and 6 Fellowships of $15,000.
The SDSU chapter of Phi Kappa Phi also offers up to two Fellowships to SDSU Phi Kappa Phi members of $1,000 each.
- Be an active member of Phi Kappa Phi (annual dues paid by March 31 of
the current year) or have accepted membership by June 30 of the year
in which you are applying. Applications will be accepted from
individuals selected for membership but not yet initiated.
- Have applied to enroll as a full time student in a post-baccalaureate program for the 2013-2014 academic year
- Applicants who have earned 10+ credit hours of graduate study or its equivalent before the 2013-2014 academic year are not eligible.
Deadline to apply: Monday April 8, 2013
- Go to PhiKappaPhi.org/Fellowship, complete the Fellowship application, and turn in application materials to the Phi Kappa Phi Scholarship Director at the address below by April 8, 2013:
Dr. Michelle Dean, Phi Kappa Phi Scholarship Director
Student Services East Building, Room 3356
Department of Management
College of Business Administration
San Diego State University
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-8238
Undergraduate Study Abroad Grant - $500 and $1,000 each
The national Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society awards 50 Study Abroad Grants of $1000 to support undergraduates seeking knowledge and experience in their academic fields as they study abroad.
SDSU Phi Kappa Phi also awards up to four $500 Study Abroad Grants to SDSU students. You do not need to be a member of Phi Kappa Phi in order to apply for Study Aboard Grants. You are encouraged to apply for both the local and national Phi Kappa Phi study abroad grants.
Below is a brief summary of eligibility requirements and deadline for the study abroad scholarships. All application materials are submitted electronically. Additional information on the online application process is available on the Phi Kappa Phi website at http://www.phikappaphi.org/awards.
Please note that you do not need to be a member of Phi Kappa Phi to apply for these study abroad scholarship opportunities.
- Be an undergraduate student in any field of study
- Have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.75 on a 4.0 scale
- Provide a letter of acceptance to an accredited study abroad program as part of your application
- Participate in a study abroad experience that begins between May 1, 2013 and June 30, 2014
- Must have applied and/or been accepted into a study abroad program.
In order to be considered for both SDSU and National Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Scholarships, you must complete application materials and submit them electronically by April 1, 2013 @ 9:59 p.m. (Pacific Time) on the National Phi Kappa Phi website by clicking on the “Apply Online” link at http://www.phikappaphi.org/Web/Awards/Study_Abroad.html
By submitting your materials by the April 1 deadline, you will automatically be considered for both SDSU and national Phi Kappa Phi study abroad scholarships.
The Literacy Grants program was initiated in 2003 to mobilize members and resources of Phi Kappa Phi and the higher education community to champion literacy initiatives. Grants of up to $2,500 are available to Phi Kappa Phi chapters and individual members to fund ongoing literacy projects or to create new initiatives. The Society’s commitment to the cause of literacy grows out of and is consistent with its mission, which was expanded to include “…and to engage the community of scholars in service to others.”
Literacy Grants are available to Phi Kappa Phi chapters and members for projects relating to literacy. The project director applying for the grant must be an active (dues current) Phi Kappa Phi member.
Deadline to submit online application: April 1, 2013, 11:59 p.m. Central time (9:59 p.m. Pacific time)
Love of Learning Award - up to $500 each
Love of Learning Awards are available to fund post-baccalaureate studies and/or career development to include (but not limited to): Graduate or professional studies, doctoral dissertations, continuing education, career development, travel related to teaching/studies, etc. The National Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society awards up to 140 awards of $500 each for active (dues current) Phi Kappa Phi members.
- Active (dues current) Phi Kappa Phi members who have completed baccalaureate studies by the application submission deadline
- Have not received a Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship
Deadline to apply: June 30, 2013, 11:59 p.m. Central time (9:59 p.m. Pacific time)